Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Naked Cowboys


Finn's best friend is Bowie Stutsman. He lives right down the street from us here in Brentwood. He and Finn have know each other since they were born. Finny is 2 months older than Bo. The Stutsmans are great friends of ours, an unschooling family and fine purveyors of fun and joy.
Last week Bowie decided he wanted to spend the night with us. It was his first sleepover with a friend. We had such a blast. The boys took a bath with glow sticks and played naked cowboy (which consists of being naked and shooting each other dead over and over and over again) before falling into a "we must sleep now" stupor. We climed into our king-sized bed and did some night reading; Jack read them "Sleepy Boy" and I read them "When I was a Boy I Dreamed" - both wonderful books from Grandmary. We then lay in bed and talked a bit about how funny it feels to talk with your eyes closed. Bowie said his eyes felt hot when he was sleepy and we told him that our eyes itch when we feel sleepy. He asked if he could go help Jack clean up the kitchen; we said nah, he could handle it. I hummed them Amazing Grace and they were off. Finn doesn't like my singing, but he loves for me to hum him to sleep. I really dig the way Amazing Grace sounds so that's what he gets. Sometimes I try to throw in a Tom Waits hum, but he always protests. Bowie really liked the humming too. Finn's other best friend, Bridget, spent the night once. When I started humming she sat up straight and shouted out "WHAT IS THAT NOISE?" (Her mother can really sing.) We all burst into hysterical laughter and had to start the night-night routine all over again.
I'm amazed that my baby now has friends spending the night. I can tell you that there is NOTHING cuter in the world than two small children curled up in bed together sleeping their little hearts out. Nothing.
We love y'all,
Michele,
Jack,
and Finnigan the Curious

No comments: