Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Unwinner

We played Old Maid for the first time a couple of nights ago. Finn was AMAZING! He got it right away and really enjoyed playing. I LOVE card games and board games. I just can't believe he's old enough for us to start doing these things. Anyway, while I was explaining the game I used the word loser. As in, the person who had the Old Maid card at the end of the game is the loser. Finn told me not to say loser as that was a "mean word." He has heard it in movies and was using it for a time. We talked a lot about how calling someone a loser might hurt feelings. If someone loses, that's one thing, but to call someone a loser could make them feel bad as most people like to be complimented on winning or just trying hard. Well, Finn didn't like me using the word loser and he said "the person holding the Old Maid card at the end of the game is the UNWINNER." Isn't that just a marvelous word? And so clever. Then, later, Finn was waiting for his turn and he said to me, "I just can't stop looking at your beautiful face." Could you just melt? I did. Jack did too. Our lovely boy.
We love y'all,
Michele,
Jack,
and Finnigan the Curious

No comments: