Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Great Outdoors

One of the coolest things about not going to school is the freedom to go where we want when we want. It's so awesome to be able to bypass crowds by going places during the week. There is such a small window of opportunity for spring camping in Texas - by mid-May it's too hot. This means that the weekends in May are insanely crowded. I feel really grateful that we can go during the week when it's nice and quiet; just us and the old folks and the other homeschoolers! Oh, and the deer, rabbits, lizards, snakes, birds, spiders, scorpions! and, of course, mosquitoes.
We had such a fun time playing with the remote control cars. If you've never done this, I really must recommend it. When we've had enough hiking and swimming and eating and bird-watching we break out the RC cars and have a blast.

Jackdaddy came and joined us one night. Always good to have a big, strong, strapping man around when camping. Look at the sleepy boys...so sweet.

You know what's crazy about this? Finny wrote this upside down! I was just amazed. I have a talent for reading upside down...maybe he got my upside down talent and translated it into writing.


This was the first trip that Finny has asked to go off wandering by himself. Because I trust that all is well and I trust him to use good judgement, I was delighted to encourage him to wander to his heart's desire. He was with his friend, Bowie, the first two days, but after they left he tooled around all by himself. I could hear him a few sites down just chatting with folks...making friends. He would come back often to report his findings.
There's always a teeny, tiny little pocket of guard in the pit of my heart, but I totally believe that letting your children experiment with freedom in, what is to me, a safe setting is simply priceless. I think camping trips to state parks are all about kids running wild. This is the way I grew up. People don't let their children run wild in the neighborhoods anymore so we've got to find a place to let them sow their wild oats, so to speak. He had a great time and I got to read a magazine! I did "tattoo" him just in case he wandered a bit too far. He loved this.
See y'all at the campsite!
Love,
Michele, Jack and Finnigan the Curious



No comments: