Friday, October 3, 2008

"Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."



Isn't that a wonderful quote? It's by Bradley Miller who founded The Humane Farming Association.
We were THRILLED to find this caterpillar in our garden, chowing down on the milkweed! After he gets his fill, he'll turn in to a pupa and then a Monarch Butterfly! Isn't he gorgeous?
I had to thin out the lettuce last week as they are growing so profusely. The seed package suggested eating the baby shoots. What a great idea! I pulled them all up and showed them to Finn who promptly tried one. He said they were DELICIOUS and then proceeded to eat them voraciously. He said he was just like the caterpillar. I asked him if he was going to turn into a butterfly. He said, "No, just a superhero."
I'm telling you, there's nothing more exciting in the world (other than having a baby, I suppose) than growing your own food. It makes me so happy and makes me feel like everything is going to be OK. Despite all the untoward things happening in the world right now, the garden still grows, the sun still shines and little boys still want to be superheroes.
Soon we'll have our own spinach, lettuce, carrots, peas and potatoes. Y'all come by - we'll make some corn bread and pick some fresh veggies together.
Love,
Michele, Jack and Finnigan the Curious

No comments: