Saturday, February 7, 2009

Finn's Room












Wouldn't you just LOVE to have a good picture of your room when you were 4?
I remember my room in my tweens, but not too much before that. I have seen some tiny, blurry pictures (oh, those cameras from the 60's), but they don't show much. I try to take some pictures of his room every now and then so he can look at them later. And, even cooler, him showing them to his children.


I am obsessed with Finn's room. I would be totally embarrassed to admit how many times I've redone it. I, literally, spend hours thinking about how to make it look better, work better, feel better. I am SUCH a homebody - my space is extremely important to me and I want Finn to feel that his room is special and important.


Check out the new, retro blue typewriter I just found for him. I had been looking for one FORever - very hard to come by. This one is a Coronita! (Just like the tiny beers,) Doesn't it look like heaven over there on that little brown table with the light streaming in on it.? He's learning to read and write and it seemed like just the unschooling thing to give him a new "toy" for practicing.


Can you see the costume rack? He has SO many costumes and I just couldn't find a way to keep them accessible. Then it dawned on me to just put up a towel bar and hang them right there. I love the way it looks when you walk in his room and see those super bad red Superman boots (Thanks Grandmary!). Are those things awesome, or what?! We also have an old trunk that looks like a pirate treasure chest. It's stuffed full of props and costume gadgets. I'm such a geek that when I tidy up his room I always leave the Merlin hat peeking out of the dress-up chest; I just love the way it looks - all blue and silver and magical.


That karate picture is his newest costume (and interest). When we went to Chinese New Year celebration he was really into the martial arts performances. We got some books at the library and then rented the Karate Kid movies. Those movies are SO good! I had forgotten how cool they were. Finn could spend hours playing karate. I do mean HOURS. He and Jack get on the trampoline and kick and trip and HIYA! all day long.




HIYA! to you too, sensai.


Love,

Michele, Jack and Finnigan the Curious



2 comments:

gina said...

What a great space and I LOVE the little typewriter! What a find!!

I am enjoying looking around your blog and I like the way you presented unschooling on your sidebar!

This blog has a great energy. :)

The Curious Holts said...

Thanks, Gina!